TRAVEL TO/FROM NEW ZEALAND
Entry to NZ is changing – effective 27th February 2022 – the Five Stage re-opening plan begins:
Step 1 — from Sunday 27 February, 11.59 pm
You can enter NZ while the border is restricted if you are:
- an NZ citizen
- an NZ permanent resident or resident visa holder
- an Australian citizen or permanent residence visa holder where NZ is your primary place of residence
- people with border exceptions or a critical purpose reason to travel
- a partner, dependent child, or parent of a dependent child who either:
- holds a visa based on their relationship to an NZ citizen or resident
- is travelling with a New Zealander or resident, or
- is ordinarily resident in NZ.
Step 2 — from Friday 4 March, 11.59 pm
The border opens to New Zealanders and other eligible travellers coming from anywhere in the world. You do not need to self-isolate when you arrive.
This means you can travel to New Zealand isolation-free if you:
- are eligible to enter the border while it is restricted, including if you have a border exception
- meet health requirements, including being fully vaccinated and getting pre-departure tests.